Today in fast-fix meals we have a quick and flavorful alternative to pizza. You can easily add or remove some of the ingredients, if for example, you don’t like mushrooms or olives. The trick that gives this pasta so much flavor is caramelizing the mushrooms and onions separately before tossing them with the pasta. The pasta takes a maximum of 15 minutes to make once you’ve put the pasta on to boil.
Makes approximately 4 servings
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12-16 ounces of angel hair pasta or spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1/2 an onion diced small
- 1-2 ounces of your favorite sliced pepperoni (turkey pepperoni works too)
- 4 mushrooms halved, and sliced
- 1/4 of a cup of sliced olives
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil over high heat.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, put a frying pan over medium heat and melt your butter and add your olive oil. Once the butter and olive oil mixture is hot, add your garlic and your onion. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally so the garlic and onions don’t scorch.
- Slice your pepperoni into thin rounds, if it came uncut. If your pepperoni is already cut, ignore this step. Next, cut your pepperoni rounds in half. It’s easiest to do this with a pair of kitchen shears, but you can just stack it up and use a knife and a cutting board as well.
- Add the pepperoni, mushrooms, and olives to the pan with the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the pepperoni starts to look crispy. Ad the oregano and balsamic vinegar.
- Right about now, your water should be boiling, so add your spaghetti/angel hair pasta. Turn the heat down to medium high so it doesn’t boil over. Angel hair cooks very quickly, and should be done in 3-4 minutes, a little bit longer for the spaghetti. Taste a piece of the pasta to make sure that it is firm but not crunchy. If it still tastes a bit crunchy, let it boil one more minute, and then try it again. (Learn Do’s and Don’ts For Cooking Good Pasta )
- Once the pasta is ready, drain the water, and dump the pepperoni mixture over the pasta, and toss to coat.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Taste, and salt and pepper if necessary. Dish and serve immediately.
For more Fast-Fix Meal ideas contact us here at cilantro cooks.